Celebrating 121 Years of Service

Call us at (508) 653-3131

Car Insurance FAQs – Metrowest Natick, MA

Here are some Frequently Asked Questions about Massachusetts Auto Insurance:
Q. How do I cancel my Insurance/Delete a vehicle?

A. Whether you sell your vehicle, or take it off the road, you need to turn in your Massachusetts (MA) plates to the Registry of Motor Vehicles and forward to us your Plate Return Receipt. For your convenience you can bring them in to our office and we can cancel them for you. If you move to another state, you must make arrangements for new plates and insurance in that state within 30 days then return your MA plates to us in order to cancel your MA policy.

Q. When do I have to add my son/daughter to my Auto Policy?

A. Your son/daughter needs to be added when they receive their driver’s license. Note they do not need to be added while they drive on a learners permit. Once they pass their license exam, please contact our office with their license number.

Q. Who should be listed on my MA Automobile policy?

A. All household members with driver’s licenses must be included on your policy as well as any customary operators. A customary operator is anyone who uses the vehicle on a regular basis whether a household member or not.

Q. When I rent a vehicle while on vacation, do I need to purchase the rental companies insurance?

A. Your MA Automobile Policy does follow you in the continental U.S., Puerto Rico & Canada as long as your vehicle is left at home and not driven while you are traveling or on vacation. However, we do recommend you purchase the coverage for the following reasons:

1.     The Collision and Comprehensive deductibles on your own policy apply unless you purchase the rental company coverage which will waive your deductible.
2.     In the event of an accident your MA Automobile Policy does not cover “loss of use” of the rental vehicle while it is being repaired.
3.     If you do not carry collision and comprehensive coverage.

Q. Do I need towing if I have AAA?

A. The basic AAA membership only allows a certain number of miles per tow. Your MA Automobile policy offers two limits of coverage $50 per disablement at a cost of $8.00 and $100 per disablement at a cost of $16.00 (these are annual premiums). Please note this coverage is a reimbursement not an actual towing service like AAA.

Q. I moved, what should I do?

A. Contact us with your new address and you also need to contact the Registry of Motor Vehicles to change both your drivers license as well as your vehicle registrations you can do this on line at www.mass.gov/rmv or we can send you a card to complete and mail to the Registry.

Q. What discounts are available for the MA Automobile Policy?

A. Each company offers different discounts they include but are not limited to Low Mileage, Multi-Car, Anti Theft, Senior Citizen, Public Transit, Group Discounts, Account Credits, Good Student, Student away at school (if over 100 miles), Hybrid Vehicle, Pay in Full, Loyalty Discounts, Advanced Driver Training and more.

Q. Should I keep a copy of my MA Automobile policy in my vehicle?

A. If you are traveling with your vehicle out of state, or in Canada, we do recommend that you keep a copy of your Insurance Policy with you.

Q. I no longer want my Social Security number on my MA Driver’s license, how do I change it?

A. You can log onto www.mass.gov/rmv and go to the Replace Your Driver’s License section. The registry will send you a replacement license with a state assigned “S” number.

Q. How does my odometer reading effect my insurance rates?

A. With the new Massachusetts Managed Competition odometer readings are an important part of your rates. Your odometer reading comes directly from your MA safety inspection; therefore it is of the utmost importance that this information is accurate.

As such you should always verify with your service station at the time of the state inspection that the odometer reading they enter is accurate… It could save you money!

More information can be found at https://fyins.com/